Friday, December 18, 2015

Chocolate Orange Revel Bars

I made these bars a little bit different than how you would normally make a Revel Bar. I had a bunch of left over cookie dough from a previous recipe I put together early this week and I needed to use it up fast. I go on auto pilot sometimes when baking and forget I'm not cooking for all the Dwarfs anymore, so there's no need to double/triple recipes anymore!

Instead of using canned sweetened condensed milk, I made up a batch of my own, which wasn't hard at all! I used this recipe from Kitchen Stewardship. I fainted a little in my mind when I read that it would take 2 hours to reduce to the amount I wanted, but there was no way I was getting out of my comfy clothes for the day and running to the overpriced store nearby. The sweetened condensed milk was done in a little less than an hour, but I had the heat up a little higher so it would go much faster. It tasted exactly the same, and I felt much better about using raw milk and organic sugar in it than using some aluminum canned stuff.

I digress! This stuff is the bomb diggity! It has just a hint of orange and the chocolate orange mixture complimented the cookie well. I'll definitely be making this again.

Chocolate Orange Revel Bars

Cookie Dough
1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed milk (or make your own! Recipe Here)
2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
2 Tbls butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1-2 tsp. orange extract

Preheat oven to 350. Flatten 2/3 of your room tempt cookie dough in a 13 x 9 pan. In a heavy saucepan stir sweetened condensed milk, chocolate and 2 Tbls butter over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture evenly on top of cookie dough and with the remaining cookie dough crumble dough on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

 photo dwarf-twitter.png 

1 comment: